unable to restart zeppelin on AWS EMR

shyla
I changed some configuration and want to restart  zeppelin on AWS EMR, but unable to do. My local Zeppelin works fine.

I have tried
1.  zeppelin-daemon.sh restart   outputs        [  OK  ]           but has no effect.
2.  sudo stop zeppelin                 outputs        stop: Unknown instance:
3.  sudo start zeppelin                 outputs .      start: Job failed to start

Zeppelin is running and able to login as anonymous user, unable to restart . Appreciate your input.

Re: unable to restart zeppelin on AWS EMR

Jianfeng (Jeff) Zhang

Please check the zeppelin log

Best Regard,
Jeff Zhang

Re: unable to restart zeppelin on AWS EMR

Jonathan
Shyla,

What release of EMR are you using? There was a problem with earlier releases of EMR where upstart was not properly tracking the Zeppelin PID, so "sudo stop zeppelin" wouldn't work. This has been fixed for a while, but I don't remember what version contained the fix. If you are not using the latest release, you might want to try that. Otherwise, if you're already using the latest version, there might be something else going on.

~ Jonathan
On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 8:28 PM shyla deshpande <[hidden email]> wrote:
I changed some configuration and want to restart  zeppelin on AWS EMR, but unable to do. My local Zeppelin works fine.

I have tried
1.  zeppelin-daemon.sh restart   outputs        [  OK  ]           but has no effect.
2.  sudo stop zeppelin                 outputs        stop: Unknown instance:
3.  sudo start zeppelin                 outputs .      start: Job failed to start

Zeppelin is running and able to login as anonymous user, unable to restart . Appreciate your input.

Re: unable to restart zeppelin on AWS EMR

shyla
Thanks everyone for the reply. Still having issues.

Moon, I had tried
sudo -u zeppelin /usr/lib/zeppelin/bin/zeppelin-daemon.sh restart
and it did not work.

I am using  the Zeppelin Version 0.7.1.  I checked the logs and in the logs,  I saw the error message that the port 8890 already in use. Since  sudo stop zeppelin did not work , I killed the process that wasusing 8890.

Now I am able to start and stop zeppelin using sudo start zeppelin and sudo stop zeppelin.

But now I have a new problem, The cassandra interpreter works fine, but the spark interpreter hangs, and I have to cancel the job. Even a simple job as the following hangs
    val df1 = sc.parallelize(1 to 10).toDF()
    df1.show()

I see the following in the log

WARN [2017-06-05 03:33:33,283] ({Timer-0} Logging.scala[logWarning]:66) - Initial job has not accepted any resources; check your cluster UI to ensure that workers are registered and have sufficient resources

Please help, I just made some config changes and wanted to restart Zeppelin and now I messed up my presentation.