notebooks rendering lag

Ruslan Dautkhanov
Mid-size notebooks lag in browser rendering / responding to simple navigation requests.
I've seen many times that once notebooks grow up above a "small" size, rendering lags can happen.
Running latest Chrome with a decent Intel i7 processor.
For example, a notebook I am working on has around 35 paragraphs and is just 145k note.json
(there are no big data tables - nothhing crazy), starts lagging quite a bit which doesn't help with UX.

I've noticed paragraphs in HTML code can be burried 10 levels deep in DIV-DIV-... nesting.
This could be the root cause? Browser might have hard time calculating all those nested
CSS styles etc?

I know some colleagues of mine start splitting notebooks into separate notebooks
when they see this issue.

Not sure if this is a known issue and if everybody else experience the same?

notebooks rendering lag

Paul Brenner
I experience this regularly.

I have found that leaving these larger notebooks open in chrome can cause lag to grow worse over time. Sometimes I can bring lag back down to a manageable level by closing the tab completely and loading the notebook from a new tab. Clearing output does not seem to help, so like your colleagues I’ll sometimes resort to splitting to a separate notebook.

Paul Brenner
DATA SCIENTIST
(217) 390-3033

PlaceIQ:Landmark by PlaceIQ

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 4:39 PM Ruslan Dautkhanov <">Ruslan Dautkhanov > wrote:
[...]

Thanks moon.

Attached heap dump and records js memory allocations for a 10 minute period of time - hope it helps to identify the root cause.

I currently can't publically share theat particular notbook without significantly dropping many pieces there, but I
think that's applicable to any notebooks when they're over a certain size ( I mentioned that one was 35 paragraphs).

Although it may take hours to few days for that memory leak to accumulate enough when it starts affecting UX with significant lags.