Zeppelin or Jupiter

Mich Talebzadeh
H,

I use Zeppelin in different form and shape and it is very promising. Some colleagues are mentioning that Jupiter can do all that Zeppelin handles.

I have not used Jupiter myself. I have used Tableau but that is pretty limited to SQL.

Anyone has used Jupiter and can share their experience of it vis-à-vis Zeppelin?

Thanks

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Re: Zeppelin or Jupiter

Goodman, Alexander (398K)
Hi Mich,

You might want to take a look at this:

I use both Zeppelin and Jupyter myself, and I would say by and large the conclusions of that article are still mostly correct. Jupyter is definitely superior in terms of stability, language (kernel) support, ease of installation and maintenance (thanks to conda) and performance. If you just want something that works well straight out of the box, then Jupyter should be your goto notebook solution. I would say this is especially true if your workflow is largely in python since many of the Jupyter developers also have close ties with the general python data analytics / scientific computing community, which results in better integration with some important packages (like matplotlib and bokeh, for example). This makes sense given that the project was originally a part of ipython after all.

However I definitely think Zeppelin still has an important place. The vast majority of Zeppelin users also use spark (also an apache project), and for that use case it should always be better than Jupyter given that its backend code is written in Java (a JVM language). There are also several advanced features that Zeppelin has that are somewhat unique, including a simple API for sharing variables across interpreters (https://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.7.0-SNAPSHOT/interpreter/spark.html#object-exchange). There's also the angular display system API (https://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.7.0-SNAPSHOT/displaysystem/back-end-angular.html). Granted, these two features are currently only fully supported by the spark interpreter group but work is currently underway to make the API extensible to other interpreters. Lastly, I think the most powerful feature of Zeppelin is the overall concept of the interpreter (in contrast to Jupyter's kernels) and the ability to use them together in a single notebook. This is my main reason for using Zeppelin since I regularly work with both spark/scala and python together.

So tl;dr, if you are using spark and/or have workflows which use multiple languages (namely scala/R/python/SQL), you should stick with Zeppelin. Otherwise, I would suggest Jupyter.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 5:06 AM, Mich Talebzadeh <[hidden email]> wrote:
H,

I use Zeppelin in different form and shape and it is very promising. Some colleagues are mentioning that Jupiter can do all that Zeppelin handles.

I have not used Jupiter myself. I have used Tableau but that is pretty limited to SQL.

Anyone has used Jupiter and can share their experience of it vis-à-vis Zeppelin?

Thanks

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Alex Goodman
Data Scientist I
Science Data Modeling and Computing (398K)
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
California Institute of Technology
Tel: <a href="tel:%2B1-818-354-6012" value="+18183937720" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">+1-818-354-6012

Re: Zeppelin or Jupiter

DuyHai Doan
--> Incorrect, the display system has also an API for front-end: https://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.7.0-SNAPSHOT/displaysystem/front-end-angular.html

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 9:23 PM, Goodman, Alexander (398K) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you guys for valuable inputs.

I have never used Jupyter myself but have used Zeppelin. Obviously it sounds like if the Big Data deployed has Spark centric view of things (with Spark being the penicillin of Big Data World :) together with Scala and SQL, then Zeppelin is a goof fit. I have also noticed recently that Hortonworks are actively promoting Zeppelin. However, I do appreciate that there are fans of Python around.

May be a strategy would to offer both. Having said that there are hard core users that would never give up on Tableau!

Regards

On 28 November 2016 at 20:32, DuyHai Doan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tel: <a style="color:rgb(17,85,204);font-size:12px" href="tel:%2B1-818-354-6012" target="_blank" value="+18183937720">+1-818-354-6012

Re: Zeppelin or Jupiter

Kevin Niemann
I can comment the reasons I use Zeppelin, though I haven't used Jupyter extensively. This is for a Fortune 500 company shared by many users.
-Easy to write new Interpreter for organization specific requirements (e.g. authentication, query limits etc).
-Already using Java and AngularJS extensively so it was a great fit.
-LDAP and Notebook level permissions worked great.
-Default D3.js visualization system works pretty well (could use some improvement)
-Easy to create and share business user friendly reports.
-Wide variety of Interpreters (JDBC, Spark, R, Mongo, custom etc).
-So far has been stable.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Mich Talebzadeh <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tel: <a style="color:rgb(17,85,204);font-size:12px" href="tel:%2B1-818-354-6012" value="+18183937720" target="_blank">+1-818-354-6012

Re: Zeppelin or Jupiter

Mohit Jaggi
-LDAP and Notebook level permissions worked great.

Would you mind sharing details on this?

Mohit Jaggi
Founder,
Data Orchard LLC

On Nov 29, 2016, at 9:52 AM, Kevin Niemann <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tel: <a style="color:rgb(17,85,204);font-size:12px" href="tel:%2B1-818-354-6012" value="+18183937720" target="_blank" class="">+1-818-354-6012

Re: Zeppelin or Jupiter

Mich Talebzadeh
Guys,

How Active Directory/LDAP and Kerberos are integrated with Zeppelin?

On 30 November 2016 at 11:26, Mich Talebzadeh <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Forwarded conversation
Subject: Zeppelin or Jupiter
------------------------

From: DuyHai Doan <[hidden email]>
Date: 28 November 2016 at 20:32
To: [hidden email]

From: Mich Talebzadeh <[hidden email]>
Date: 29 November 2016 at 14:24
To: [hidden email]

From: DuyHai Doan <[hidden email]>
Date: 28 November 2016 at 20:32
To: [hidden email]

"Granted, these two features are currently only fully supported by the spark interpreter group but work is currently underway to make the API extensible to other interpreters"
--> Incorrect, the display system has also an API for front-end: https://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.7.0-SNAPSHOT/displaysystem/front-end-angular.html

----------

Re: Zeppelin or Jupiter

Ruslan Dautkhanov
Mich,

This page has examples for both Active Directory and LDAP:

activeDirectoryRealm = org.apache.zeppelin.server.ActiveDirectoryGroupRealm
activeDirectoryRealm.systemUsername = userNameA
activeDirectoryRealm.systemPassword = passwordA
activeDirectoryRealm.searchBase = CN=Users,DC=SOME_GROUP,DC=COMPANY,DC=COM
activeDirectoryRealm.url = ldap://ldap.test.com:389
activeDirectoryRealm.groupRolesMap = "CN=aGroupName,OU=groups,DC=SOME_GROUP,DC=COMPANY,DC=COM":"group1"
activeDirectoryRealm.authorizationCachingEnabled = false

ldapRealm = org.apache.zeppelin.server.LdapGroupRealm
# search base for ldap groups (only relevant for LdapGroupRealm):
ldapRealm.contextFactory.environment[ldap.searchBase] = dc=COMPANY,dc=COM
ldapRealm.contextFactory.url = ldap://ldap.test.com:389
ldapRealm.userDnTemplate = uid={0},ou=Users,dc=COMPANY,dc=COM
ldapRealm.contextFactory.authenticationMechanism = SIMPLE

On Kerberos it could be done for example through
export SPARK_SUBMIT_OPTIONS="--principal xxx --keytab yyy"
in zeppelin-env.sh as an example - that's how we do that.
Or as explained here -

Hope this helps.

--
Ruslan Dautkhanov