Why the deprecation of %dep?

Ahmed Sobhi
I've been using the %dep extensively to setup my notebook dependencies for later use by the Scala Spark paragraphs.

My main use case for these notebooks involve the following steps
  • Spin up an ephemeral cluster (with Spark and Zeppelin on it)
  • Import the notebook
  • Run
I've seen https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-630 and the comments on https://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.6.1/interpreter/spark.html#dependencyloading which seem to suggest that this feature in being deprecated in favor of the GUI settings since it works for both %spark and %sql interpreters.

From a user's point-of-view the way to fixing this should've been fixing the loading for %sql or at least warning about it so it doesn't surprise users. But to takeaway something that is already working well, and remove it in favour of matching a the less powerful %sql approach?

Re: Why the deprecation of %dep?

Vinay Shukla
Ahmed,

Do you find that %dep not work for you post deprecation?

Thanks,
Vinay

From a user's point-of-view the way to fixing this should've been fixing the loading for %sql or at least warning about it so it doesn't surprise users. But to takeaway something that is already working well, and remove it in favour of matching a the less powerful %sql approach?

Re: Why the deprecation of %dep?

Ahmed Sobhi
In fact that was not the main point of the email. I am opposed to the deprecation of %dep.

However, answering your question, the %dep doesn't work for code that used to work before.

First paragraph
%dep
z.reset()
// Neither of the following work. It only gives deprecation warning but when trying to use the library I get errors
//z.load("org.uaparser::uap-scala:0.1.0")
z.load("org.uaparser:uap-scala_2.11:0.1.0")

DepInterpreter(%dep) deprecated. Remove dependencies and repositories through GUI interpreter menu instead.
DepInterpreter(%dep) deprecated. Load dependency through GUI interpreter menu instead.
res0: org.apache.zeppelin.dep.Dependency = org.apache.zeppelin.dep.Dependency@689ec7dc

Second paragraph
org.uaparser.scala.Parser.get

<console>:26: error: object uaparser is not a member of package org
org.uaparser.scala.Parser.get

The second paragraph works only when I load the library via the new GUI setting.

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 7:36 PM, Vinay Shukla <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ahmed,

Do you find that %dep not work for you post deprecation?

Thanks,
Vinay

On Saturday, August 27, 2016, Ahmed Sobhi <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been using the %dep extensively to setup my notebook dependencies for later use by the Scala Spark paragraphs.

My main use case for these notebooks involve the following steps
  • Spin up an ephemeral cluster (with Spark and Zeppelin on it)
  • Import the notebook
  • Run
I've seen https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-630 and the comments on https://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.6.1/interpreter/spark.html#dependencyloading which seem to suggest that this feature in being deprecated in favor of the GUI settings since it works for both %spark and %sql interpreters.

From a user's point-of-view the way to fixing this should've been fixing the loading for %sql or at least warning about it so it doesn't surprise users. But to takeaway something that is already working well, and remove it in favour of matching a the less powerful %sql approach?

Re: Why the deprecation of %dep?

VitaliyZinchenko
We have the same issue. Actually, this functionality worked in 0.6.0 but it doesn't work in 0.6.1 version.
So, when I invoke "load" it doesn't show any message nor in UI not in logs
    z.load("/path/to.jar")

But when I try to import or use class from jar file, zeppelin brakes with the error that it can't recognize package.

Re: Why the deprecation of %dep?

Vitaliy_Zinchenko
Here is ticket related to this issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-1466

Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

Re: Why the deprecation of %dep?

Mina Lee-2
Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience, I confirmed that %dep doesn't work on 0.6.1 but it does on master and branch-0.6 branch.
Since [1] all blockers for 0.6.2 have patch, hopefully we can start 0.6.2 release process this week.