[VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 (RC1)

[VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 (RC1)

Jeff Zhang

Hi folks,

I propose the following RC to be released for the Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 release.

The commit id is a74365c0813b451db1bc78def7d1ad1279429224 :
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=zeppelin.git;a=commit;h=dd2058395ad4cf08fb6bdc901ec0c426c5095a94
This corresponds to the tag: v0.9.0-preview1-rc2 :
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=zeppelin.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/v0.9.0-preview2-rc1

The release archives (tgz), signature, and checksums are here
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/zeppelin/zeppelin-0.9.0-preview2-rc1/

The release candidate consists of the following source distribution archive
zeppelin-v0.9.0-preview2.tgz

In addition, the following supplementary binary distributions are provided
for user convenience at the same location
zeppelin-0.9.0-preview2-bin-all.tgz

The maven artifacts are here
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachezeppelin-1279/org/apache/zeppelin/

You can find the KEYS file here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/zeppelin/KEYS

Release notes available at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12342692&styleName=&projectId=12316221

Vote will be open for next 72 hours (close at 8am 20/July PDT).

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] 0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

--
Best Regards

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 (RC1)

Eric Pugh
Very excited to see preview2, 0.9.0 has been much more stable then previous versions, and the ipyn export makes it easier to use with more clients in my work.

+1 (non binding)

On Jul 17, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Yadong Xie <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks, Jeff
+1 from my side

Jeff Zhang <[hidden email]> 于2020年7月17日周五 下午11:25写道:
[...]

_______________________
Eric Pugh Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com | My Free/Busy
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 (RC1)

Anthony Corbacho
+1

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 12:54 PM Prabhjyot Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1
Thank you Jeff for creating this.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020, 9:35 PM Eric Pugh <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the feedback, [hidden email] , We can wait for your fix, and everyone else can continue to test the preview2.

Alex Ott <[hidden email]> 于2020年7月18日周六 下午6:13写道:
I'm hitting https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-4787 in
Cassandra interpreter, need to investigate why this happens - is it result
of the Cassandra interpreter refactoring, or something else... Everything
was fine in the preview1, and many templates weren't affected by
refactoring, but are broken now.

I would prefer to fix this for preview, but I need 1-2 days for
investigation

--
With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/

--
Best Regards

This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 (RC1)

Jongyoul Lee
+1

2020년 7월 19일 (일) 08:51, Surjan S Rawat <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 (RC1)

Alex Ott
Hi Jeff

I didn't identify the root cause (I'm not a HTML/JavaScript developer), but I fixed the issue. PR is open: https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/3858 - it's primarily HTML templates changes, so it could be merged quite fast, and then we can cut new RC.

http://alexott.net/
Twitter: alexott_en (English), alexott (Russian)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 (RC1)

Jeff Zhang
Thanks Alex, I also found another blocker issue in spark interpreter.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-4912

Folks,
I'd like to cancel this RC, and will prepare another RC after these 2 blocker issues.

Alex Ott <[hidden email]> 于2020年7月20日周一 下午6:44写道:

--
With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/
Twitter: alexott_en (English), alexott (Russian)

--
Best Regards

With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/
Twitter: alexott_en (English), alexott (Russian)

--
Best Regards

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 (RC1)

Jeff Zhang
Sorry, the blocker issue in spark interpreter is this one, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-4962

Jeff Zhang <[hidden email]> 于2020年7月20日周一 下午9:53写道:

--
With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/
Twitter: alexott_en (English), alexott (Russian)

--
Best Regards

With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/
Twitter: alexott_en (English), alexott (Russian)

--
Best Regards

Best Regards

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 (RC1)

Alex Ott
Hi Jeff

I've found another issue in both rc1 & rc2 - if you don't specify the SPARK_HOME, then the default Spark interpreter doesn't start with following error if I execute the code for reading from Cassandra:

%spark

import org.apache.spark.sql.cassandra._
val data = spark.read.cassandraFormat("test", "test").load()
z.show(data)

org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.InterpreterException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/hadoop/fs/FSDataInputStream
at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.LazyOpenInterpreter.open(LazyOpenInterpreter.java:76)
at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.remote.RemoteInterpreterServer$InterpretJob.jobRun(RemoteInterpreterServer.java:760)
at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.remote.RemoteInterpreterServer$InterpretJob.jobRun(RemoteInterpreterServer.java:668)
at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.Job.run(Job.java:172)
at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.AbstractScheduler.runJob(AbstractScheduler.java:130)
at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.FIFOScheduler.lambda$runJobInScheduler$0(FIFOScheduler.java:39)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/hadoop/fs/FSDataInputStream
at org.apache.spark.SparkConf.loadFromSystemProperties(SparkConf.scala:76)
at org.apache.spark.SparkConf.<init>(SparkConf.scala:71)
at org.apache.spark.SparkConf.<init>(SparkConf.scala:58)
at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkInterpreter.open(SparkInterpreter.java:80)
at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.LazyOpenInterpreter.open(LazyOpenInterpreter.java:70)
... 8 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSDataInputStream
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:382)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:349)
... 13 more
ERROR

This works just fine in the preview1, without any additional configuration. I remember that we had something around this already reported, but I can't find JIRA

What do you think?

http://alexott.net/
Twitter: alexott_en (English), alexott (Russian)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 (RC1)

Philipp Dallig

Hi Alex,

It seems that Hadoop classes are missing. Do you include Hadoop jars with "-P include-hadoop"?
I think it's related to https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/commit/6fa79a9fc743f2b4321ac9e8713b3380bb4d64c9#diff-600376dffeb79835ede4a0b285078036.

Philipp

http://alexott.net/
Twitter: alexott_en (English), alexott (Russian)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 (RC1)

Jeff Zhang
That's right, In that PR, I exclude hadoop jars from zeppelin distribution, so that we can support both hadoop2 and hadoop3 (user could set USE_HADOOP=true in zeppelin-env.sh, so that zeppelin run command `hadoop classpath` and put all the hadoop jars in classpath of zeppelin.

But for this issue, it seems even setting USE_HADOOP won't work, because we didn't put hadoop jars in the spark dependencies jars. Let me fix it quickly.

Philipp Dallig <[hidden email]> 于2020年7月21日周二 下午5:41写道:

--
With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/
Twitter: alexott_en (English), alexott (Russian)

--
Best Regards

With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/
Twitter: alexott_en (English), alexott (Russian)

--
Best Regards

Best Regards

With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/
Twitter: alexott_en (English), alexott (Russian)

--
Best Regards

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zeppelin 0.9.0-preview2 (RC1)

Alex Ott
I didn't compile it myself, I just use binaries that Jeff created for preview2. My point is that it worked out of box in preview1, and previous versions, and should continue be the same, otherwise it's a very breaking change that requires that people know about that...