Updating the official homepage

12

Updating the official homepage

Park Hoon
Hi, I am Hoon.

I would like to suggest updating official homepage. Here are few reasons.

  1. It’s hard to find content for beginners.

For example, Let’s say I want to use python and don’t much know about Zeppelin. But the main page doesn’t say what should I do.

As you know, The tutorial is quite outdated and The homepage doesn’t have a *getting started* section.

Inline image 2

Also, if I want to know how to use `%python` interpreter, I should click twice.

- Docs -> Version
- Interpreter -> Python

However, I don’t see beginner can do this easily. Even they don’t know what is the interpreter.

Inline image 1

Inline image 3

Here is a good example.

- In tensor flow, Beginners can click the button `GET STARTED`

Inline image 7

  1. Content is not organized for different types of users.

Some users are admins. Others might be just individual users or developers. But the current official page doesn’t provide useful information for each group.

For example, an admin might want to know about multiple user supports. (Login  / Logout) or Let’s say I want to configure zeppelin spark interpreter for my yarn / mesos cluster. But the problem is, It’s not easy to find that information. Also, some information is not included in official docs.

Docker official doc has a good example. https://docs.docker.com/

Inline image 4

Inline image 5

Also, users might be interested in different interpreters. For instance, Spark / Python / JDBC / Others. We should provide links for that information in the front page instead of just listing new features.

Inline image 6

Any suggestion or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Updating the official homepage

Jeff Zhang

+1 for redesign the home page. Do you have a rough design for new offical homepage ?

Park Hoon <[hidden email]>于2017年5月24日周三 下午12:13写道:

Thanks.

이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

Re: Updating the official homepage

Park Hoon
Hi, All! Thanks for replying!

I created a JIRA ticket for updating official homepage

Also, I attached a rough design in this email and There are few details and backgrounds for the change.

1. Main Page (zeppelin.apache.com): Header

## Before

Inline image 13

## After

Inline image 14

## Details

- Add `Quick Start` menu: which can be helpful for beginner
- Remove `Github` menu: everyone can search GitHub.com/zeppelin in google.
- `Community` menu was moved to before `Apache` menu. That’s because It’s not the most important menu.

2. Main Page (zeppelin.apache.com): Section 1

## Before

Inline image 16

## After

Inline image 18
## Details

The used texts are just coped from somewhere, and design can be improved. So please focus on the structure of the page, not the text.

- Remove the large `Apache Zeppelin` text. There is no reason to keep it. Everyone knows this is Zeppelin web site.
- Replace the outdated `TUTORIAL VIDEO` button to `GET STARTED` button to help new comers.

3. Main Page (zeppelin.apache.com): Section 2

## Before

Inline image 22

## After

Inline image 24

## Details

The used texts are just coped from somewhere, and design can be improved. So please focus on the structure of the page, not the text.

- This is a new section will be located top on (previous) the *new feature* section.
- `Spark`, `JDBC` and `Python` are the most important interpreters in Zeppelin and they are what the beginners want to use at first.
- depending on the type of users, they have different interests. So  `User / Admin / Contributor` menus will helpful for each group. See the documentation page screenshot for detail.

4. Documentation Page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/version/): Header

## Before

Inline image 15
## After

Inline image 17

## Details

- Add `User`, `Admin` menus: - menus are now organized based on user types.
- Remove `Display System` menu. It can be located under `User`

5. Documentation Page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/version/): Content

## Before

Inline image 28

## After

Inline image 27

## Details

- Removed duplicated information which already introduced on the main page. For example spark section, open source section, pivot, built-in visualizations. We have to make user see the documentation which is really important instead of listing features.

6. Documentation Page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/version/): Header Details

## Before

Inline image 20

## After

Inline image 19

Inline image 23
Inline image 25
Inline image 21
Inline image 26

## Details

- The style is changed a little bit for readability.
- the Interpreter tab shows the most important interpreters first: Spark, JDBC, Python.

Thanks.

Re: Updating the official homepage

Sora Lee-2
+1 Nice design!

And I also would like to suggest two ideas.

1. Adding 'Quick Interpreters Links' to documentations (http://zeppelin.apache.org/).
for example, I attached the following screenshots about Cloudera web site.

본문 이미지 1       본문 이미지 2

2. Adding left menu documentation structure such as TensorFlow and Docker web site.
I think this structure is more comfortable user point of view searching documentation.

본문 이미지 1

- Docker

본문 이미지 2

What do you think of that?
If that is okay, I'll make a rough design like Hoon!
And also any suggestion or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sora

[...]

​Hi, all
Sorry for confusing this sentence. That's my mistake.

1. Adding 'Quick Interpreters Links' to documentations (http://zeppelin.apache.org/).

The idea was first mentioned by Hoon, and I suggested about design.

thanks,
Sora

[...]

Partridge, Lucas (GE Aviation)

Some great ideas here.

I’m just a bit concerned about the most popular interpreters being listed as Spark, JDBC and Python. Is that based on real usage data for the different interpreters; if such data is available?  I’ve never knowingly used the JDBC interpreter, and the team of data scientists I work with mostly use the Python, SQL, Spark and Shell interpreters. But this will probably vary between teams and I don’t want to start a ‘my favourite 3 interpreters’ war!  If you’re trying to appeal to the Data Scientist community, assuming that’s the main type of user, we should think of the interpreters that appeal most to them.

Thanks, Lucas.

And I also would like to suggest two ideas.

1. Adding 'Quick Interpreters Links' to documentations (http://zeppelin.apache.org/).
for example, I attached the following screenshots about Cloudera web site.

<image001.png>       <image002.png>

2. Adding left menu documentation structure such as TensorFlow and Docker web site.

I think this structure is more comfortable user point of view searching documentation.

<image003.png>

- Docker

<image004.png>

What do you think of that?
If that is okay, I'll make a rough design like Hoon!
And also any suggestion or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sora

Hi, All! Thanks for replying!

I created a JIRA ticket for updating official homepage

Also, I attached a rough design in this email and There are few details and backgrounds for the change.

1. Main Page (zeppelin.apache.com): Header

## Before

<image005.png>

## After

<image006.png>

## Details

- Add `Quick Start` menu: which can be helpful for beginner
- Remove `Github` menu: everyone can search GitHub.com/zeppelin in google.
- `Community` menu was moved to before `Apache` menu. That’s because It’s not the most important menu.

2. Main Page (zeppelin.apache.com): Section 1

## Before

<image007.png>

## After

<image008.png>
## Details

The used texts are just coped from somewhere, and design can be improved. So please focus on the structure of the page, not the text.

- Remove the large `Apache Zeppelin` text. There is no reason to keep it. Everyone knows this is Zeppelin web site.
- Replace the outdated `TUTORIAL VIDEO` button to `GET STARTED` button to help new comers.

3. Main Page (zeppelin.apache.com): Section 2

## Before

<image009.png>

## After

<image010.png>

## Details

The used texts are just coped from somewhere, and design can be improved. So please focus on the structure of the page, not the text.

- This is a new section will be located top on (previous) the *new feature* section.
- `Spark`, `JDBC` and `Python` are the most important interpreters in Zeppelin and they are what the beginners want to use at first.
- depending on the type of users, they have different interests. So  `User / Admin / Contributor` menus will helpful for each group. See the documentation page screenshot for detail.

4. Documentation Page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/version/): Header

## Before

<image011.png>
## After

<image012.png>

## Details

- Add `User`, `Admin` menus: - menus are now organized based on user types.
- Remove `Display System` menu. It can be located under `User`

5. Documentation Page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/version/): Content

## Before

<image013.png>

## After

<image014.png>

## Details

- Removed duplicated information which already introduced on the main page. For example spark section, open source section, pivot, built-in visualizations. We have to make user see the documentation which is really important instead of listing features.

6. Documentation Page (http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/version/): Header Details

## Before

<image015.png>

## After

<image016.png>

<image017.png>
<image018.png>
<image019.png>
<image020.png>

## Details

- The style is changed a little bit for readability.
- the Interpreter tab shows the most important interpreters first: Spark, JDBC, Python.

Thanks.

Re: Updating the official homepage

I just counted number of issues in Zeppelin JIRA, with text

Spark / Livy - 841 / 117
JDBC / SQL - 195 / 252
Python - 234
Shell - 169
Markdown - 90
Cassandra - 83

Theses numbers reflect community activity on each interpreter. Although they are not exactly usage, i think it is still meaningful data in this discussions.

Thanks.

Re: Updating the official homepage

Park Hoon
Hi, All! Thanks for your opinion.

I think we can search in stackoverflow as well using tags.

- `apache-zeppelin`: 555 questions
- `apache-zeppelin` + `spark`: 264
- `apache-zeppelin` + `python`: 28
- `apache-zeppelin` + `hive`: 20
- `apache-zeppelin` + `cassandra`: 11
- `apache-zeppelin` + `jdbc`: 6
- `apache-zeppelin` + `sql`: 3
- `apache-zeppelin` + `elasticsearch`: 3

There are not tagged questions and SO might not reflect all usage.

Thanks. :)

Hi,

Thanks.

Re: Updating the official homepage

Park Hoon
Hi, all!

Regarding improving documentation page, a PR was submitted.

https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/2371

Any feedback or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Park Hoon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Felix Cheung
I think it's important to keep a link to the github mirror some where? Under Community or Apache?

Re: Updating the official homepage

Sora Lee-2
Hi, all

Regarding updating main homepage, I've just created a PR in WIP status, but design part is done.

If anyone suggests idea or give me feedback, it would be appreciated!

(And, I added a github link under Community in the navigation.)

Thanks,
Sora

I think it's important to keep a link to the github mirror some where? Under Community or Apache?

Re: Updating the official homepage

Park Hoon
Hi all,

1. Updating documentation page

PR was submitted a week ago. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. (design, content structure, bug(?),... )

https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/2371

 2. Updating the official homepage

PR was submitted 5 days ago. The review is ongoing. Please suggest any changes if you have

https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/2381

Thanks.

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 4:19 AM, Sora Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, all

Regarding updating main homepage, I've just created a PR in WIP status, but design part is done.

If anyone suggests idea or give me feedback, it would be appreciated!

(And, I added a github link under Community in the navigation.)

Thanks,
Sora

I think it's important to keep a link to the github mirror some where? Under Community or Apache?

Re: Updating the official homepage

Sora Lee-2
​Hi all!

regarding of 2. Updating the official homepage​. there are some bugs in official homepage. So I separated a PR which is related with `quick interpreter links and single/multi-user setting links.

Any feedback will be so delighted.

[...]

Documentation page is just updated (finally)

http://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.8.0-SNAPSHOT/

Regard,

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Sora Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Prabhjyot Singh

Re: Updating the official homepage

Jun Kim
I love it! Obviously better than before :)

But Usage & Setup drop-downs are too long and the ends of them are cut!
So, I think they need scroll bars like Interpreter drop-down.
The image below shows that the drop-down is cut.

image.png

2017년 6월 29일 (목) 오후 4:25, Prabhjyot Singh <[hidden email]>님이 작성:
[...]

Taejun Kim

Data Mining Lab.
University of Seoul

Re: Updating the official homepage

Park Hoon
Thanks for reporting them.

-Regarding invalid image URLs, I found the cause and will fix ASAP. (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZEPPELIN-2707)

@Jun Kim,

Which browser and OS you are using?

And it seems that we need V scrolls for them. (Setup, Usage) like the interpreter menu.

Regard,

Inline image 1