[DISCUSS] Reducing default interpreters while building and releasing Zeppelin

[DISCUSS] Reducing default interpreters while building and releasing Zeppelin

Jongyoul Lee
Hi dev and users,

Recently, zeppelin.apache.org is being changed for increasing user experiences and convenience. I like this kind of changes. I, however, saw some arguments that which interpreters we will locate in the first page. I'd like to expand its argument to the package we release.

Current zeppelin packages exceed 700MB with default option because Zeppelin tried to include all interpreters by default. It was good at the early age but, nowadays, Zeppelin community suffer from the size because ASF infra allows the package size under 500MB. So I'd like to reduce the package size by reducing default packages.

In case of rebuilding homepage, community proposed some criteria including mailing list and # of question in stackoverflow. I think we can adapt same criteria into release version of Zeppelin.

To handle this kind of issue, I think consensus of community is the most important factor. If someone wants to have an idea to deal with it, please feel free to talk about it.

Thanks,
Jongyoul Lee

이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

Re: [DISCUSS] Reducing default interpreters while building and releasing Zeppelin

Jongyoul Lee
It means we release with some interpreters and deploy all interpreters into maven separately. We already had a install-interpreter script inside it. If someone wants to install specific interpreter not included in default release package, they can use that script to install specific one.

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are we proposing some interpreters to be built and released separately?

Is this going to be separate packaging? Or separate release pipeline?

_____________________________

이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

Re: [DISCUSS] Reducing default interpreters while building and releasing Zeppelin

Following is last discussion related to release package size.

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/69f606409790d7ba11422e8c6df941a75c5dfae0aca63eccf2f840bf@%3Cusers.zeppelin.apache.org%3E

at this time, we have discussed about having bin-all (every interpreters), bin-min (selected interpreters), bin-netinst (no interpreters) package but didn't conclude the criteria and how we make a decision.

Jongyoul, do you have any idea about criteria?

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 10:47 AM Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sure - I think it will be important to discuss what criteria to use to decide what is included vs what will be released separately.

_____________________________

--
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈
http://madeng.net

Re: [DISCUSS] Reducing default interpreters while building and releasing Zeppelin

Jongyoul Lee
Felix,
Yes, I said a bit confused. I want to release Zeppelin with some - not-all - interpreters, but deploy all interpreters into maven to install them if users want to use them.

Moon,
I think it's the best to fit the list as same as homepage by default as it makes users confused less. But if we want to add more interpreters, I think mailing questions and related issues are one of the proper criteria.

Jeff,
Agreed. We already had a menu but it just shows how to use install-interpreter.sh.

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Jeff Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

If possible, we need to integrate the install script in zeppelin UI. As I would expect many users would ask why some interpreter is missing and how to install them.

moon soo Lee <[hidden email]>于2017年6月5日周一 上午2:06写道:

--
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈
http://madeng.net

이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

Re: [DISCUSS] Reducing default interpreters while building and releasing Zeppelin

Raffaele S
I believe it's a good idea to select which interpreters to keep in the "default release", should we track this through JIRA?

Thanks, Alex.

I left comments we started to discuss on it recently.

On Sun, Jun 11, 2017 at 6:50 PM, Alexander Bezzubov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey guys,

great effort! I think people in few other communities will be very happy
with it i.e [1] and [2].

Is there an issue that tracks current status or something like that? Does
anyone have concrete plans to work on it in this/next release?

Sorry if I have missed that out. And please, keep up a good work!

--

Alex

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-2269
2.
https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/tree/master/examples/spark#known-issues-with-zeppelin

이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

Re: [DISCUSS] Reducing default interpreters while building and releasing Zeppelin

Park Hoon
@Jeff > , we need to integrate the install script in zeppelin UI.

AFAIK, helium has UI to list all available interpreters which are registered in the central maven repo although this feature doesn't work currently.

We can improve this page is used to install interpreters which will be not included in the default distribution.

Inline image 1

--
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

Re: [DISCUSS] Reducing default interpreters while building and releasing Zeppelin

Jeff Zhang

Does helium UI support interpreter erase/upgrade/downgrade?

Jongyoul Lee <[hidden email]>于2017年7月10日周一 上午11:36写道:
Hi,

I think it's time to move to the next step. Zeppelin's web site is already changed. Zeppelin's default package also provide same interpreters and include markdown and shell. How do you think of it?

Regards,
Jongyoul

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:08 PM, Jongyoul Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
@Rafffele,

After we discuss it with community, then will make a JIRA issue for handling it. :-)

--
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

--
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

Re: [DISCUSS] Reducing default interpreters while building and releasing Zeppelin

Jongyoul Lee
I haven't thought about about downgrading, but at least, we need to provide a way to install interpreter from UI. And do you think we need to erase interpreter as well? We can unbind some existing interpreters and also delete some interpreter settings as well.

--
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

--
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈