[DISCUSS] Change some default settings for avoiding unintended usages

[DISCUSS] Change some default settings for avoiding unintended usages

Jongyoul Lee
Hi, users and dev,

Recently, I've got an issue about the abnormal usage of some interpreters. Zeppelin's users can access shell by shell and python interpreters. It means all users can run or execute what they want even if it harms the system. Thus I agree that we need to change some default settings to prevent this kind of abusing situation. Before we proceed to do it, I want to listen to others' opinions.

Feel free to reply this email

Regards,
Jongyoul

이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈

Re: [DISCUSS] Change some default settings for avoiding unintended usages

Jeff Zhang

Shell interpreter is a black hole for security, usually we don't recommend or allow user to use shell.

We may need to refactor the shell interpreter, running under zeppelin user is too dangerous.

Jongyoul Lee <[hidden email]>于2017年11月29日周三 下午11:44写道:
Hi, users and dev,

Recently, I've got an issue about the abnormal usage of some interpreters.
Zeppelin's users can access shell by shell and python interpreters. It
means all users can run or execute what they want even if it harms the
system. Thus I agree that we need to change some default settings to
prevent this kind of abusing situation. Before we proceed to do it, I want
to listen to others' opinions.

Feel free to reply this email

Regards,
Jongyoul

이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈
http://madeng.net

Re: [DISCUSS] Change some default settings for avoiding unintended usages

Ruslan Dautkhanov
Would be nice if each user's interpreter is started in its own docker container a-la cloudera data science workbench.
Then each user's shell interpreter is pretty isolated.
Actually, from a CDSW session you could pop up a terminal session to your container which I found pretty neat.

--
Ruslan Dautkhanov

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Jeff Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

Shell interpreter is a black hole for security, usually we don't recommend or allow user to use shell.

We may need to refactor the shell interpreter, running under zeppelin user is too dangerous.

Jongyoul Lee <[hidden email]>于2017年11月29日周三 下午11:44写道:
Hi, users and dev,

Recently, I've got an issue about the abnormal usage of some interpreters.
Zeppelin's users can access shell by shell and python interpreters. It
means all users can run or execute what they want even if it harms the
system. Thus I agree that we need to change some default settings to
prevent this kind of abusing situation. Before we proceed to do it, I want
to listen to others' opinions.

Feel free to reply this email

Regards,
Jongyoul

--
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈
http://madeng.net

Re: [DISCUSS] Change some default settings for avoiding unintended usages

Felix Cheung
I don’t think that’s limited to the shell interpreter.

You can run any arbitrary program or script from python or Scala (or java) as well.

_____________________________
Shell interpreter is a black hole for security, usually we don't recommend
or allow user to use shell.

We may need to refactor the shell interpreter, running under zeppelin user
is too dangerous.

Jongyoul Lee <[hidden email]>于2017年11月29日周三 下午11:44写道:

> Hi, users and dev,
>
> Recently, I've got an issue about the abnormal usage of some interpreters.
> Zeppelin's users can access shell by shell and python interpreters. It
> means all users can run or execute what they want even if it harms the
> system. Thus I agree that we need to change some default settings to
> prevent this kind of abusing situation. Before we proceed to do it, I want
> to listen to others' opinions.
>
> Feel free to reply this email
>
> Regards,
> Jongyoul
>
> --
> 이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈
> http://madeng.net

Re: [DISCUSS] Change some default settings for avoiding unintended usages

Jeff Zhang

+1 for running interpreter process in docker container.

Jongyoul Lee <[hidden email]>于2017年12月1日周五 下午3:36写道:
Yes, exactly, this is not only the shell interpreter problem, all can run
any script through python and Scala. Shell is just an example.

Using docker looks good but it cannot avoid unindented usage of resources
like mining coin.

이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈
http://madeng.net

Re: [DISCUSS] Change some default settings for avoiding unintended usages

Felix Cheung
I’d +1 docker or container support (mesos, dc/os, k8s)

But I think that they are separate things. If users are authenticated and interpreter is impersonating each user, the risk of system disruption should be low. This is typically how to secure things in a system, through user directory (eg LDAP) and access control (normal user can’t sudo and delete everything).

Thought?

_____________________________

--
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈
http://madeng.net

RE: [DISCUSS] Change some default settings for avoiding unintended usages

Belousov Maksim Eduardovich

The authentication by default isn't big deal, it's could be enabled.

It's nice to use another account by default: guest/guest, for example.

Thanks,

Maksim Belousov

Re: [DISCUSS] Change some default settings for avoiding unintended usages

Jongyoul Lee
I also worry about well-known password problem. We need to find a way of generating password randomly at the first time to avoid potential risk, but it’s not easy on our current shiro setting. Can someone have any good idea to solve it?

On Sun, 24 Dec 2017 at 3:14 AM Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
Authentication by default is good but we should avoid having well known user / password by default - it’s security risk.

________________________________

+1 for running interpreter process in docker container.

Jongyoul Lee <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>于2017年12月1日周五 下午3:36写道:
Yes, exactly, this is not only the shell interpreter problem, all can run
any script through python and Scala. Shell is just an example.

Using docker looks good but it cannot avoid unindented usage of resources
like mining coin.

--
이종열, Jongyoul Lee, 李宗烈
http://madeng.net