Can the %html directive not print variables defined in the same paragraph?

Can the %html directive not print variables defined in the same paragraph?

Partridge, Lucas (GE Aviation)

Hi,

If I do this in one paragraph:

val name = “Bob”

println(s”%html <h3>Hello $name</h3>”)

I get this result:

name: String = Bob

%html <h3>Hello $name</h3>

I wasn’t expecting that!  But if I move the println statement to a second paragraph and run it then I get the heading “Hello Bob” that I intended.

It appears that variables defined in the same paragraph as the %html directive are not visible to %html.  Is this by design or a bug please?

Thanks,

Lucas.

Re: Can the %html directive not print variables defined in the same paragraph?

IT CTO
Which version of zeppelin are you using?
older version had an issue with the display system showing only the first output and then handling the rest as text. Newer version should work fine.
Selection_023.png
Eran

Eran | "You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" (Faithless)

RE: Can the %html directive not print variables defined in the same paragraph?

Partridge, Lucas (GE Aviation)

Thanks Eran.  It was unzipped from a downloaded copy of zeppelin-0.5.0-incubating.tgz.

Was the bug fixed before or after zeppelin-0.5.0-incubating.tgz was released?  (BTW To doublecheck I preceded the 2 lines with %spark like you did but I still get the same result.)

Thanks,

Lucas.

Eran | "You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" (Faithless)

Re: Can the %html directive not print variables defined in the same paragraph?

IT CTO
I think release 0.5.0 does not include this fix.
Can you build from latest?
Which configuration are you interested in? local? CDH?
Eran

Eran | "You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" (Faithless)

RE: Can the %html directive not print variables defined in the same paragraph?

Partridge, Lucas (GE Aviation)

Hi Eran,

I’m not set up to build but I can do that if you really need me to.  I’m just testing with a local Zeppelin setup at the moment but I will need to talk to a remote Spark cluster on Hadoop at some point.

Was your working example from a build of the latest code running locally?

Thanks,

Lucas.

Eran | "You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" (Faithless)

Re: Can the %html directive not print variables defined in the same paragraph?

IT CTO
Just trying to see how can we help you.
the fix is already in the latest build so if you get to build the latest in any configuration you will get it.
note that for testing you can overcome the issue by separating this to two paragraphs as they share the same context.
if you just want the latest build give me a share and I will upload an unofficial release zip :-)
Eran

Eran | "You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" (Faithless)

RE: Can the %html directive not print variables defined in the same paragraph?

Partridge, Lucas (GE Aviation)

Ok, thanks for offering Eran.  I don’t think I’m blocked by this issue for now, at any rate.  And, if I will be, then I’ll just build the latest code. At least it’s good to know you know about it and it’s been fixedJ.  I’ll look forward to the next release…

Thanks again,

Lucas.